Hi, my name is Laura, I am the Coordinator of Abroader View in Ecuador, if you have any concerns please do not hesitate to communicate it to me.
Hi, my name is Karen, I am the person responsible to provide you the necessary information about your project, and if you have any concerns please do not hesitate to write to me.
Hi, my name is Alexandra, and together with Karen and Laura we are ready to help you with everything you need
Ecuador, a small country with 12.000.000 inhabitants, is a blessed country which for being located in the half of the world counts with four regions such as the Highlands, the Coast, the Ecuadorian Jungle and the Galápagos Islands.
In Ecuador, it is possible to find a cultural and gastronomic variety in each one of its provinces. In relation to the needs that we can identify; since Ecuador is a country in ways of development, there are many needs in different fields such as social, education, community development, health, micro enterprise and environment. It is a safe country with very hospitable people; in the area of the big cities, it is possible to find all kind of services such as bank, hospital, mail service, restaurants, shopping malls, pubs, among other services.
In relation with the touristic attractions which can be visit by the volunteers, it depends on the city. In the city of Quito, it is possible to see and appreciate all the colonial art which is reflected in the beauty of the old town, and where it is possible to admire many beautiful churches built during the colonial time. Also, it is possible to appreciate several viewpoints, being El Panecillo the most important and the most beautiful because from there, it is possible to admire the whole city. Morover, there is a “teleferico” located in the East North Central from where it is possible to have a wonderful view of the city. Also, it is possible to visit the museum “Mitad del Mundo” where it is possible to receive an explanation about the reason of the name of this place. In its surroundings, it is possible to visit different museums that show the history of the country in its different regions. Besides, it is possible to visit the “Casa de la Cultura Ecuatoriana”, where it is possible to attend to different artistic presentations in the areas of theater, music and dance, here; it is also possible to visit the Museum of the Central Bank of Ecuador, which picks the history of the country from the first days of our culture until today.The city also counts with an artisanal market located in the neighborhood La Mariscal, where it is possible to buy a big variety of artisanal products from Ecuador. La Basilica is one of the most important churches in the city, it has a gothic architecture, and it has been compared with two of the most important cathedrals in the world: The Cathedral of San Patricio in New York City, and the Cathedral of Notre Dame in París. In the inside part of this church; it is possible to find 24 internal chapels which represent to the 24 provinces of Ecuador as well as representations of our flora and fauna.
Outside Quito, it is possible to visit: Otavalo, springs of Papallacta, Guallabamba, Banos, Mindo
There are many Airlines that land in Quito, they are American Airlines, Delta, Avianca, Copa, Aerogal, Tame, TACA, Air France, Iberia, KLM, Condor, LAN, Santa Bárbara, Continental, Copa and VIP.
In relation to the volunteers arriving process, it is as follows: volunteers arrive to Mariscal Sucre Airport in Quito, inside the airport, volunteers must go to migration, and then to the customs office, in relation to the allowed weight of the luggage, it depends on the airline, however, generally the allowed weight for the big luggage is of 20 kilos and 10 kilos for the handbags.Once the Volunteer goes to the receiving area from the airport, he/she is received by a person from the organization who will be wearing the ABV t-shirt and holding the ABV sign with the volunteer’s name on it, after this the coordinator introduces herself, welcomes to the volunteer and then, they go to the house of the host family.
Once the Volunteer goes to the receiving area from the airport, he/she is received by a person from the organization who will be wearing the ABV t-shirt and holding the ABV sign with the volunteer’s name on it, after this the coordinator introduces herself, welcomes to the volunteer and then, they go to the house of the host family.In the house of the host family, the volunteer receives an introduction about the family rules, and the location of his/her room. The first day of work, the Volunteer receives an introduction regarding the country and the Project where he/she will be participating, then the Volunteer is taken to the Project and the coordinator stays the whole time with him/her in order to help to the Volunteer in the adaptation process; this needs to be repeated during 2 or 3 days depending on each volunteer.
Homes for orphans: The homes for the orphans work with children from the 3 months old until the 6 years old, and they are separated in the following way:
- Children from 3 months old until 2 years old: here, volunteers help by taking care of the children, feeding them and keeping them clean. Also, they play with toys for babies, puzzles and puppets.
- Children from 3 years old until 4 years old: here, the volunteers are in charge of taking care of the children, feeding them and keeping them clean. Also, they work in recreational and learning activities.
- Children from 5 years old until 6 years old: here, the children go to the School during the mornings and they go back to the home on the afternoon, and the volunteers help to the children with their homework.
- Schedule: The Schedule is from Monday to Friday since 07H30 AM until 12H30 PM and from 13H00 PM until 16H00 PM
- Schools: In the schools, volunteers are a big support for the teachers especially in the areas of English, sports, computing and music (everything depends on the skills of the volunteers)
- Schedule: The Schedule is from 07H30 AM until 12H30 PM
Hospital for Special children: This is a hospital that counts with different services.
Day Care Center: This is an area that receives to the special children in order to take care of them while their parents are working. Here, the volunteers help by taking care of the children, feeding them, cleaning them and they reinforce the therapies according the guidance of the professional in therapies.
- Language therapy
- Physic therapy
- Psychological therapy
- External medical consultation
- General medicine
NOTE: The volunteers are placed in this hospital according to their level of knowledge as well as to their level of Spanish.
Schedule: The Schedule id from 07:30 until 12:30 and from 13:00 until 16:00
Street Children: This is a Project that supports to the children and teenagers who for living in a situation of poverty and misery, have gone out of their homes in order to work as peddlers. The project supports them through a scholarship for them to keep studying. The volunteers help by reinforcing each of the subjects that the kids receive at the School through a workshop.
Also, the volunteers and a teacher from the Project visit the home of the children and teenagers as well as the School and their working place in order to know how is going the situation of this persons.
- Handcrafts workshop:This is workshop which is addressed to the parents of the children who have scholarship in order to give them the chance of learning an activity and improve their living conditions.
- Embroiling workshop
- Cards elaboration workshop
Schedule: The Schedule is from 08:30 until 12:00
Some of our holidays:
- January 1st: New Years Eve, on December the 31st, people make a familiar reunion in order to make a kind of doll which represent to a well known politician, to an actor or to a family member. The main objective is to burn that doll and in that way, all the bad things that happened during the finished year will be taken away. This festivity takes 2 days.
- February: Carnival, this is a national party where people prepares typical dances, they play with flowers, water and carioca. This festivity takes 2 days.
- April: Holy Week, this is a Catholic celebration which recalls on the death of Jesus, here families get together and prepare a traditional meal called fanesca. Duration: 1 day
- November 2: All Souls Day is a celebration from the highlands of Ecuador where families prepare the tradicional colada morada and guaguas de pan. Duration: 1 day
- December 24: Christmas is a family celebration where it is used to prepare the Christmas tree. Duration: 2 days
Regarding the donations received for the programs in general, we have received educational materials, cleaning materials, school supplies, we have been able to make the furniture repair, and we have been given donations of clothes, shoes and toys for the children.
Come to Ecuador and explore a new community and volunteer experience.